Closet organization tips - removal and sorting
Looking for specific closet organization tips? Search now below to improve your closet appearance!
Lets start to actually organizing your closet now. Clear some space on the floor to move the contents of your closet onto.
Create three piles and have your two trash bags ready
Start taking items out of your closet one section at a time.
- Clothing donations - The first bag is used for donations. Be kind it is time to help others.
- Damaged clothing - The second bag is used for trash. You will be surprised when you organize your closet how many things you saved that must go.
- Seasonal clothing - The first pile is for out-of-season clothes that should be put into storage.
- Clothing alterations - The second pile is for items that need repairs, should be pressed or require some action before returning it to the closet.
- The save pile - The third pile is for items that will be returned to your closet once your closet organization steps have been completed.
For example, take all of your jeans out and next pull all the sweaters out. If your closet looks like it just made it through a tornado, do not worry about removing sections of clothing, and just take one small pile at a time.
As you are forming your piles, keep the following in mind.
Hopefully you have pared down your wardrobe to clothes and shoes that are in fashion; you wear often, and are in good repair.
- Try clothing and shoes on if you are not sure that they fit.
- Check clothing for tears or holes by carefully examining each piece.
- Look over shoes and toss or donate any worn or out of style shoes.
Next: Closet design